Minecraft World Map

Full Version: Map popularity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just curious how map popularity is determined for the 'Popular' tab. Sorry if this question has been answered before; I tried to find an answer first.
Map popularity is based on a combination of number of downloads and the date updated.

I may be tweaking this formula as things progress as it's not changing as much as I would like. It is nice to see some worlds climb the ranks though as opposed to being buried amongst everything that is uploaded.
(02-03-2013, 11:41 PM)skeight Wrote: [ -> ]Map popularity is based on a combination of number of downloads and the date updated.

Is that the number of downloads SINCE last updated, or is it the TOTAL number of downloads reconciled against last update somehow?

Again, just curious. It seems to be a good system. I'm happy that my map is currently on page 6!

Cheers!

It is total number of downloads.

Yeah it's worlds like yours that I want to be able to highlight and let people find. With 2k downloads you would be much further down the list on the Most downloaded.

I guess it's working as intended it just takes some time for things to move around.
The only thing that skews things is that the higher a map gets in the 'popular' ranks, the more downloads they end up getting, naturally (but somewhat exponentially) due to increased exposure. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I can understand why you'd want to tweak it. I can't think of a way to do improve on it though.

BTW - just became premium. Well worth it!

Cheers!

Yeah that's the part that I'm struggling with lol. Surprisingly, since I've implemented the popular page I have seen some worlds move off the first page, so it seems to be working, it just takes time. I'm not sure how to fix it 100% but I think it's moving in the right direction.

Thanks for the support! Big Grin