Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late christmas gift.
01-27-2015, 12:06 PM,
Threads: 1
Late christmas gift.
XtaL Offline Wood Chopper View worlds
I promised my 14y son a Minecraft server. No problem.

Now I have some questions. No I'm not a newbie sysadmin.

But I have actually absolutely no clue of calculating an approximate mem / cpu / bandwidth of a game I've never played. Which my son has since release.

Now I've got a spare server, but I don't have any clue about the requirements per player and so on, so I can dimension the MaxPlayers and so on.

Server is the least of my problem. It's what I'm expecting in mem, cpu and traffic. I have not a single clue. Memory is 3 digits GB and hardrive in a SAS.

My son has no technical knowledge at alll, so he's not the best to ask. Currently, the server is in staging mode, so nobody except approved IP's can't even get a route to it.

Anyway. Just for Stress test, I figured, " http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/...529/-7/0/0 " seemed as a good one.

How do you calculate memory usage, latency for players, and such things?

The world above is about 10k * 10k in size. That swallowed in about half a gig of ram. But what about players? The server has to keep track of them, and as so, they consume memory. About how much?

What's a normal world size for an online server?

What's the normal amount of players per n*square?

As I said. I'm a newbie minecraft SysAdm with a 14y GameAdm....
01-28-2015, 09:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2015, 10:57 PM by Nathangorr.)
Threads: 23
RE: Late christmas gift.
Nathangorr Offline Majestic Forums Moderator View worlds
(01-27-2015, 12:06 PM)XtaL Wrote: I promised my 14y son a Minecraft server. No problem.

Now I have some questions. No I'm not a newbie sysadmin.

But I have actually absolutely no clue of calculating an approximate mem / cpu / bandwidth of a game I've never played. Which my son has since release.

Now I've got a spare server, but I don't have any clue about the requirements per player and so on, so I can dimension the MaxPlayers and so on.

Server is the least of my problem. It's what I'm expecting in mem, cpu and traffic. I have not a single clue. Memory is 3 digits GB and hardrive in a SAS.

My son has no technical knowledge at alll, so he's not the best to ask. Currently, the server is in staging mode, so nobody except approved IP's can't even get a route to it.

Anyway. Just for Stress test, I figured, " http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/...529/-7/0/0 " seemed as a good one.

How do you calculate memory usage, latency for players, and such things?

The world above is about 10k * 10k in size. That swallowed in about half a gig of ram. But what about players? The server has to keep track of them, and as so, they consume memory. About how much?

What's a normal world size for an online server?

What's the normal amount of players per n*square?

As I said. I'm a newbie minecraft SysAdm with a 14y GameAdm....

Hello,
It mostly depends on the amount of players online at a given time. A gigabyte of memory can handle up to 10-15 players on a world of almost any size.
The amount of memory you need is dependent on the view distance of the server, not the size of the world. If there are 10 players online at the same time, all in different chunks, 1,500 chunks (and 400 entities if not on peaceful) would be loaded on a view distance of 10 (recommended for most servers).
If 2 players are online at the same time in two different areas 300 chunks will be loaded at a view distance of 10. In this case, only needing 500 MB of memory. However, if you wish for the server to be Spigot/Bukkit it is recommended that the 2 gigabytes of memory is dedicated to the server no matter the amount of players.
To give you an idea of an average world size, this website's server has 10-60 (6.8k unique users in 2 months) players active at a time. The world has grown to 15k * 15k (with a worldborder to restrict them from continuing) in 2 months.

For what bandwidth is concerned it is usually 40 KB per player per second for Minecraft version 1.8.1 (Don't quote me on this). CPU is another story, it is extremely hard to calculate how much CPU is required to run a server for 10-15 players as it fluctuates constantly. A Intel Xeon E3 1225v2 is recommended.
01-29-2015, 03:04 AM,
Threads: 1
RE: Late christmas gift.
XtaL Offline Wood Chopper View worlds
Thankyou for the answer. This is indeed going to be a fun project :-P Weird but fun.

The VPS server has six xeon 1230v2 cores with hyperthreading, the other two cores are mine. So I just have to set the server in lab mode, and see what it can handle. If it survives lab mode, it will go into live mode. That's where the fun begins.....

I will probably regret this anyway....

I Will check usage of things like memory / cpu / disk / net and make it useful for future clueless people, that like me are complete newbies to these things. If not, just give a hunch of things. Seems nobody has bothered to do such things.

But I got a quite good grip of what to calc. I was walking in completely darkness before. Now I at least see light :-D