Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why haven't people heard about this place?
05-25-2016, 07:20 PM,
Threads: 2
Why haven't people heard about this place?
NyuuLucy Offline Member View worlds
It seems like minecraftworldmap should have way more activity than it does. So far to me it looks essentially exactly like planetminecraft but with more functionality. Do you people have some dark secret I should know about?
05-25-2016, 08:53 PM,
Threads: 0
RE: Why haven't people heard about this place?
Hagron Offline Wood Chopper View worlds
I have no clue! I've only recently found out about this website myself. Love it, it really helps me working on my world.
05-25-2016, 09:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM by Nathangorr.)
Threads: 24
Nathangorr Offline Premium View worlds
(05-25-2016, 07:20 PM)NyuuLucy Wrote: It seems like minecraftworldmap should have way more activity than it does. So far to me it looks essentially exactly like planetminecraft but with more functionality. Do you people have some dark secret I should know about?

I find that the actual difference between Minecraft World Map and Planet Minecraft is how our primary traffic uses this site. Since this site is almost entirely run by Skeight, we are often unable to supply the demands of the constantly evolving community. Due to this, new features are not added in a timely matter, administration of maps can be minimal, and people often have confusion with the functionally of our site. When rendering issues arise, we take the approach of having the user fix the issue themselves rather than us adding exceptions to avoid the issue as a whole, no matter how common. This causes a lack of excitement, as our site always retains the same feel that our active members have grown to love, but new users may not. Currently, I am the only active forum moderator, meaning that I deal with 99% of all user-submitted problems and reports, which can be problematic when I am not around.

Don't get me wrong, this site sees plenty of traffic. Our services have rendered, "22 maps in the past 24 hours 202 maps in the past 7 days 996 maps in the past 30 days 9675 maps in the past year", which is enough to allow our site to stay active, but not become overloaded with too many requests. We also provide plenty of popular maps, and we often get boosts of traffic for when YouTubers such as EthosLab and CaptainSparklez use our services.

Additionally, each of the icons on the top of your screen represents a logged in and active user on our site, which does not include the traffic from guests simply visiting the site. We receive plenty of traffic on our service; though we could receive more, I find that our current traffic is sufficient enough to keep our services steadily, effectively, and efficiently running, avoid long queues and rendering times.
05-26-2016, 01:08 AM,
(05-25-2016, 09:18 PM)Nathangorr Wrote:
(05-25-2016, 07:20 PM)NyuuLucy Wrote: It seems like minecraftworldmap should have way more activity than it does. So far to me it looks essentially exactly like planetminecraft but with more functionality. Do you people have some dark secret I should know about?

I find that the actual difference between Minecraft World Map and Planet Minecraft is how our primary traffic uses this site. Since this site is almost entirely run by Skeight, we are often unable to supply the demands of the constantly evolving community. Due to this, new features are not added in a timely matter, administration of maps can be minimal, and people often have confusion with the functionally of our site. When rendering issues arise, we take the approach of having the user fix the issue themselves rather than us adding exceptions to avoid the issue as a whole, no matter how common. This causes a lack of excitement, as our site always retains the same feel that our active members have grown to love, but new users may not. Currently, I am the only active forum moderator, meaning that I deal with 99% of all user-submitted problems and reports, which can be problematic when I am not around.

Don't get me wrong, this site sees plenty of traffic. Our services have rendered, "22 maps in the past 24 hours 202 maps in the past 7 days 996 maps in the past 30 days 9675 maps in the past year", which is enough to allow our site to stay active, but not become overloaded with too many requests. We also provide plenty of popular maps, and we often get boosts of traffic for when YouTubers such as EthosLab and CaptainSparklez use our services.

Additionally, each of the icons on the top of your screen represents a logged in and active user on our site, which does not include the traffic from guests simply visiting the site. We receive plenty of traffic on our service; though we could receive more, I find that our current traffic is sufficient enough to keep our services steadily, effectively, and efficiently running, avoid long queues and rendering times.

Ah that explains a lot, though I have to say I primarily hit up map sites to try and get some feedback/scope for design tricks I might steal which seems like it would scale almost proportionally with traffic. (what are your "maintenance and programing fiddly-bits" to me? You IT peoples job is to be invisible magic gnomes who magic away all problems instantly regardless of whatever constraints you operate under. *cracks whip* bring me traffic gnomes!)

sorry if I got a bit weird there at the end (long day and too much redbull)
05-27-2016, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 05:10 PM by NyuuLucy.)
As someone who typically alternates between short periods of intense interest/work on a project or hobby and months long stretches where I don't work on it at all the lack of activity here grieves me. I know a lot of people get a lot out of communities where they can ask about something or start a discussion that have like a response a week for many months but when I wanna talk Minecraft on the interwebs my ideal would be a real-time conversation like I'm in the room with people. Sadly you marathoners are by your very nature vastly more likely to set up and maintain (both the actual running of said sites and in terms of having "power users" who just know the site and who's who etc) a community dedicated to a given topic than sprinters like me are (sites whose admins/mods do fantastic and cool things 2 months a year and don't even log in the remaining ten don't survive) not touched and I think that gears sites like this (and the official forums) more towards more casual discussions.

I'm not complaining about the site really or saying the admins/mods here aren't post-human demi-god miracle-workers I'm just wondering if anybody else gets that feeling.

tl;dr Reality is rigged! I'm calling the ACLU!
05-27-2016, 06:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 06:57 PM by Nathangorr.)
Threads: 24
Nathangorr Offline Premium View worlds
(05-27-2016, 05:09 PM)NyuuLucy Wrote: As someone who typically alternates between short periods of intense interest/work on a project or hobby and months long stretches where I don't work on it at all the lack of activity here grieves me. I know a lot of people get a lot out of communities where they can ask about something or start a discussion that have like a response a week for many months but when I wanna talk Minecraft on the interwebs my ideal would be a real-time conversation like I'm in the room with people. Sadly you marathoners are by your very nature vastly more likely to set up and maintain (both the actual running of said sites and in terms of having "power users" who just know the site and who's who etc) a community dedicated to a given topic than sprinters like me are (sites whose admins/mods do fantastic and cool things 2 months a year and don't even log in the remaining ten don't survive) not touched and I think that gears sites like this (and the official forums) more towards more casual discussions.

I'm not complaining about the site really or saying the admins/mods here aren't post-human demi-god miracle-workers I'm just wondering if anybody else gets that feeling.

tl;dr Reality is rigged! I'm calling the ACLU!

Unlike many others, our site does not revolve around the forums. A vast majority of our users strictly only use our integrated map commenting system for general conversation, causing the forums to see very minimal recognition. Initially, the forums were geared towards the discussion about a previous version of our Minecraft server; which is why you will see that there was a spike of forum activity in 2012. Once that server closed, the forums died down to how it is now; where little general conversation occurs along with the occasional support thread. Personally, I don't judge the activity on our site by the activity on our forum, as it is a poor reflection of the overall traffic and popularity of our site.
05-27-2016, 07:40 PM,
Threads: 9
TheMills22 Offline Premium View worlds
Doesn't Planet Minecraft have a much smaller file size limit on their maps?  Nathangorr -- you're the big-map demi-god?!  And doing an amazing job, I think...
05-27-2016, 10:36 PM,
Yamantaca9 Offline Member View worlds

A lot of people do use the site, but there's really only a handful of members who are very active.  I've used this site for a long time now and love it to death, but I also use PMC as it is objectively better for uploading images and getting feedback from the community on builds.  However, it's hard to compare PMC to a site like this.  In my mind they serve very different purposes, and PMC does not have a map rendering system or anything that comes close to providing a service like this site does.  At the end of the day, I don't know what I'd do without this site and I'm grateful for the small and dedicated team that keeps this ship afloat!
05-28-2016, 07:28 PM,
(05-27-2016, 10:36 PM)Yamantaca9 Wrote: A lot of people do use the site, but there's really only a handful of members who are very active.  I've used this site for a long time now and love it to death, but I also use PMC as it is objectively better for uploading images and getting feedback from the community on builds.  However, it's hard to compare PMC to a site like this.  In my mind they serve very different purposes, and PMC does not have a map rendering system or anything that comes close to providing a service like this site does.  At the end of the day, I don't know what I'd do without this site and I'm grateful for the small and dedicated team that keeps this ship afloat!

Hear, hear!
08-17-2016, 03:24 PM,
bskillian Offline Wood Chopper View worlds

Never heard of a dark secret before lol.