Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Breach
10-01-2016, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016, 08:58 AM by skeight.)
Threads: 117
Data Breach
skeight Offline Administrator View worlds
Hi all,

It is with great sorrow that I bring this to your attention so late but until recently I had no evidence that it happened and didn't want to alarm everyone.  I now have it on very good authority that the Minecraft World Map (http://mcworldmap.com) database was breached back on January 16th.

All passwords were encrypted using a one-way hash.  This means that it would take a lot of brute force attempts to crack the passwords.  The longer and more secure your password was, the less chance that it was brute-forced.  That said, you should change your password as well as anywhere else that you use the same username/password combination.

I would like to take this opportunity to stress the importance of using secure passwords on any website as these data leaks are quite common in this day and age (snapchat, linkedin, oracle, dropbox, yahoo this year alone!).

Security measures have been stepped up since then to ensure admin tools are not accessed by unauthorized personnel.

I realize now that this was the wrong approach and I should have err'd on the side of caution and brought this up as soon as there was even a rumor that this happened and I apologize for that.

I will be sending out an email to all those effected with this same message shortly.  I'm happy to answer any questions that you have.
10-10-2018, 10:40 AM,
Threads: 1
RE: Data Breach
jexadox Offline Member View worlds
should we change our passwords? i don't think i have any important personal information, so the only issue would be somebody steal minecraft maps?
10-10-2018, 12:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM by Nathangorr.)
Threads: 23
RE: Data Breach
Nathangorr Offline Majestic Forums Moderator View worlds
(10-10-2018, 10:40 AM)jexadox Wrote: should we change our passwords? i don't think i have any important personal information, so the only issue would be somebody steal minecraft maps?

This breach does not impact your account, as you registered after the breach took place.